Government of Kenya has publicly admitted losing billionaire Jack Ma’s Covid-19 donation which was meant to help the country fight pandemic.
Speaking before the National Assembly Health Committee on Thursday September 3rd, Transport CAS Chris Obure mentioned that the Ma’s donations was marred by inconsistencies and only part of it, as far as he was concerned, arrived at the Kenya Medical Supplies Authority KEMSA.
According to his suspicious account, Obure said what was finally received at KEMSA was only five consignments as another 21 got lost while still in Ethiopia.
“We received what we received in the manner in which it was packaged and dispatched from the source (Jack Ma Foundation (China). Am not aware if there was any repackaging in Addis Ababa,” he submitted.
He said however that 21 packages were missing after they had done their comparison with the dispatch documents from China.
“We realized that 21 packages were short delivered, I assure you we will continue to pursue the matter with the Ministry of Health to ensure they are delivered,” Obure stated.
When asked what they were doing to recover what was lost, he only said authorities had been dispatched to Ethiopia to find out what happened to their consignment.
He however said any other procurement scandal at KEMSA had nothing to do with him and that anyone who will be found to have involved in the dirty games at the agency must be held responsible as per the directive by the president.
President Uhuru Kenyatta recently ordered a thorough investigation into the KEMSA mega scandal that left the whole country in shock.